Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gaining Momentum - Hy-Vee Triathlon Recap

I think this picture pretty much says it all:



I could have flatted on the bike and death marched my way through the run, and I still would have been out of my mind excited on Sunday. I had a minor little freak out right at the beginning as 145 of my closest female friends aged 30-39 thrashed around at the start, but I quickly got over it and started swimming...and just kept swimming. THE ENTIRE WAY. And did I mention this swim was NOT wetsuit legal? That's right folks, I swam .9 miles in open water without a wetsuit, without stopping to hold onto a buoy or flip on my back to calm myself down. That was a huge victory for me. Huge. Somewhere along this 2.5 year journey I've managed to become a swimmer. Not a fast swimmer, by any means, but a swimmer nonetheless. I owe a lot of thanks to Greyt for that...she's been by my side the entire way, encouraging me, listening to my freak outs, and going out to practice with me whenever I have needed. Without her, I'm not sure I would have made it to this point. And thanks to Coach Jen as well...for all the workouts, the pep talks, and believing in me. And, Laura, of course...thank you for supporting this crazy addiction of mine and for being there Sunday all over the course. Ok, enough with the Oscar acceptance speech...

Carrying the excitement of that swim with me through the entire race, I had just an awesome day. I really had fun out there racing. I can honestly say it's probably the first time I've really enjoyed the entire experience. My bike felt really good, strong. I had a few minor hiccups in the last 1/3 of the bike, like a bit of a queasy stomach and some slight cramping in my calves, but nothing that made me slow down. The issues with my calves did cause a charlie horse in my left calf in T2, but I sat down and got it worked out before heading out on the run.

The run was fabulous. I allowed myself to take it easy at the beginning to make sure my calf wasn't going to flare up and just to settle into the run. I was surprised at how good I felt. I usually don't feel that great starting out on the run. My HR and breathing was in check, I was ready to have a good run. I think it helped that there were no mile markers on the course. I just kept running and pushing as I felt I could. I handled the first big hill well...remembered coach's instructions to shorten up the stride and use my arms. I can't even believe how much using your arms helps. WOW. So many people were walking up that first hill. About three weeks ago, I probably would have been one of them, but my training has really been coming around and I was ready for this course. Down the hill, turn the corner, and there's the turnaround. Over halfway at that point, and I still felt great. Just after the turnaround I saw Greyt. She was running strong, just like she has been. I yelled across the street that she better get moving so she can catch me and spank my ass as she runs by. I fully believed she would do that because she has been running so well lately. But, then again, I didn't really anticipate what happened next. I'm not sure if it was the gel I took at the beginning of the run or if I just somehow caught a second wind in all the excitement, but I found another gear on the run. I charged up the two remaining hills, passing a ton of people along the way. Then it was all downhill to the finish.

There is NOTHING quite like turning into the finish at the Hy-Vee triathlon. They do it right. You come around the corner and the course is just lined with people. Then you turn one more time and it opens up to this huge grandstand area that is FILLED with cheering spectators. And, the blue carpet. Oh that sweet blue carpet. Such a surreal experience. And to top it off, as I was running for the finish line I see this hand sticking out from the crowd in front of me and I heard "Go, Kris!", I looked up just in time to see my Mom and Dad standing there grinning ear to ear and my Dad with his hand out for a high five. That was just the best.

This was right before I saw Mom and Dad. Pushing hard to the finish!


All in all, it was a fantastic weekend. I got to watch the ITU women's race on Saturday, had a great race on Sunday morning, then got to hang around and watch the new ITU Team event on Sunday afternoon. That was so cool to watch. I'll post some pictures from that in another blog. Got some up close and personal pictures of all the stars in action. I'll leave you with a couple pictures of some really cool people I met this weekend:

Katie Weaver


Hunter Kemper (he signed my helmet!!)

10 comments:

Maria said...

i'm shocked...the race just happened on sunday and you posted by wednesday and not 3 weeks later! welcome back to publishing blogland! congrats on the awesome race and it was great to see you again!

Maria said...

p.s. you do look like a slight nerd coming out of the water like that, definitely a tri-nerd.

tribeaner said...

That's what happens when you have something good to blog about!! :D

And, yes, I do look like a nerd. I can admit it, I'm comfortable with my nerdiness. :D

LittleRachet said...

That swim picture makes me smile every time I see it. I know that the swim has been such a thorn for you - and baby, you cut it off and threw it AWAY this weekend!!! You owned that swim and made it your BITCH - FINALLY!!! Super proud over here. :) Now, maybe we can stop swimming so often in that nasty-ass lake????? Laura was EVERYWHERE on that course. It was great seeing her out there!! Time to tackle the 1.2!!!

Laura said...

You're welcome....it's a lot of fun to watch. You finally looked like you were enjoying it.

Molly said...

I was the same way with my 1st (and only, come to think of it) Oly swim - just thrilled I finished it and the rest of the day was cake at that point. Congrats on an awesome race and you even have cool photos to prove it :)

Anonymous said...

Good job Kristen!! You had a great race! I will tell Steve to hang in there with the swim because it will get better. You are a great example of that.
Jamey

Jennifer Cunnane said...

That is great news!!!! And to do the swim without a swimsuit??? It always feels great to overcome tough challenges...That race looks like a lot of fun with all the fanfare and chance to watch the elites - wow!

Sherry said...

Better late than never, right??

LOVED your race recap! Amazing stuff... and look at that SMILE on your face at the swim exit! I'd say that you certainly tossed most of those OW fears aside. Good for you!

Super proud of your AWESOME finish!!! You inspire me!!! :o)

Sherry said...

And....

Good luck at Racine this weekend! YAY!!!!!!