Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Goodbye, Four Eyes!

Tomorrow is the day. 9:30am. After that, no more contacts, no more glasses. I'm getting laser eye surgery, baby!!! Wahoo! Everyone keeps asking me if I'm nervous. I guess I probably should be...I mean it is surgery. On my eyes. There is a possibility something could go wrong and my vision could end up more screwed up than it is now. But really, I'm not nervous. I'm excited. For the first time in almost 20 years I will be able to get up in the morning and be able to see clearly without glasses or contacts. And that is very exciting to me!

For those of you who are more curious about the details, I am not having LASIK surgery, I'm having the "flapless" eye surgery called Advanced Surface Ablasion (ASA). There's really not a lot different in terms of the outcome of LASIK vs. ASA, there's just a difference in how the surgery is done and the risk of complications after surgery (although not a substantial difference in risk). I talked quite a bit with the surgeon about the two procedures and just decided given my active lifestyle, that it made sense for me to have ASA instead of LASIK. If you are interested in learning more about the differences, here's a link to a document that talks about ASA and the differences from LASIK: http://www.dmeyemd.com/pdf/ASAFinal.pdf

Ok, off to finish up some last minute work stuff so I can be off the rest of the week recuperating!! Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Sinclair said...

WOW! Good Luck! I'm sure that you'll have a big improvement in your life!(or so I've heard with people that have this done).

Molly said...

Good luck tomorrow!!!!

Melissa said...

Good luck! By now you should be all done...I hope it went well and you are able to enjoy glass-less life very soon.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Good luck! I have always wanted to do this because I am as blind as they come. Let m know how it goes..

Sherry said...

OMG... I forgot that you were having this done! So how are you? Can you even read this message????

Hope that all went well! Post an update when you can! :o)

Anonymous said...

Great job putting this together! I recently ran into The Patients Advantage when looking for Lasik surgeons. It's a great way to find the best surgeons and it is completely free. Check them out (www.ThePatientsAdvantage.com).

Melissa said...

Kristen...are you there? I don't have your email address handy, but Jen just told me about your hand! I hope everything goes well tomorrow, I'll be sending you good vibes! Ugh...I also hope you are feeling OK.